Contact Us Make Arrangements
Serving Our Western Slope Communities for Over 100 Years


Social Security

A Message From Taylor Funeral Service

We will notify Social Security that there has been a death in your family immediately after the arrangements are made. Please note that we will only notify them, we will not make a claim on your behalf. Please feel free to contact us if you have questions or concerns.

A Message From Social Security

Taylor Funeral Service is helping the Social Security office by giving you this information about Social Security benefits. If the deceased was receiving benefits, you need to contact us to report the death. If you think you may be eligible for survivor’s benefits, you should contact us to apply. To apply for any benefits, you must call the Social Security office. You may call 1-800-772-1213 to file a claim or call the Montrose office at 1-866-758-1317. The office is located at 1805 Pavilion Dr. Montrose, Colorado, 81401.

How Social Security Helps Families

Social Security survivors benefits help ease the financial burden that follows a worker’s death. Almost all children under age 18 will get monthly benefits if a working parent dies. Other family members may be eligible for benefits, too. Anyone who has worked and paid Social Security (FICA) taxes has been earning Social Security benefits for his or her family. The amount of work needed to pay survivors benefits depends on the workers age at the time of death. It may be as little as 1½ years for a young worker. No one needs more than 10 years.

Who Can Get Survivors Benefits?

Family members who usually qualify for benefits:

  • Widows and widowers age 60 or older.
  • Widow and widowers at any age if caring for the deceased’s child(ren). who are under age 16 or disabled.
  • Divorced wives and husbands age 60 or older, if married to the deceased 10 years or more.
  • Widows, widowers, divorced wives, and divorced husbands age 50 or older, if they are disabled.
  • Children under age 18.
  • Children age 18-19, if they attend elementary school or high school full time.
  • Children over age 18, if they became disabled before age 22.
  • The deceased worker’s parents age 62 or older, if they were being supported by the worker.

A Special One-Time Payment

In addition to the monthly benefits for family members, a one-time payment of $255 can be paid to a spouse who was living with the worker at the time of death. If there is none, it can be paid to:

  • A spouse who is eligible for benefits.
  • A child or children eligible for benefits.

This payment cannot be made if there is no eligible spouse or child.

How to Apply for Benefits

You can apply for benefits by telephone or by going to any Social Security office. You may need some of the documents shown on the list below. But don’t delay your application because you don’t have all the information. If you don’t have a document you need, Social Security can help you get it.

Information You Will Need to Provide

  • Your Social Security number and the deceased worker’s Social Security number.
  • A death certificate (generally, the funeral director provides a statement that can be used for this purpose).
  • Proof of the deceased worker’s earnings for the last year (W-2 forms or self-employment tax return).
  • Your birth certificate.
  • A marriage certificate, if you are applying for benefits as a widow, widower, divorced wife or divorced husband.
  • A divorce decree, if you are applying for benefits as a divorced wife or husband.
  • Children’s birth certificates and Social Security numbers, if applying for children’s benefits.
  • Your checking or savings account information, if you want direct deposit of your benefits.

You will need to submit original documents or copies certified by the issuing office. You can mail or bring them to the office. Social Security will make photocopies and return your documents.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

If you are 65 or older, disabled, or blind ask the Social Security representative about Supplemental Security Income (SSI) checks for people with limited income and resources. If you receive SSI, you may also qualify for Medicaid, food stamps, and other social services.

Social Security Checks to the Deceased

If the deceased was receiving Social Security benefits, any checks which arrive after death will need to be returned to the Social Security office. If Social Security checks were being directly deposited into a bank account, the bank needs to be notified of the death, too.

More Information

For more information visit the Social Security Administration online, or write or visit any Social Security office, or call the toll-free number: 1-800-772-1213. You can speak with a representative weekdays 7 A.M. to 7 P.M.